Back in 2014 I created a video instruction guide on how to backup your PC’s data to Google Drive. It was very popular with over 33,000 views
Now Google has released a newSync tool called Backup and Sync for Google Photos and Google Drive. This new sync software will backup your computer easier and better than my previous instructional video.
You can get started by downloading the Backup & Sync software from here //www.google.com/drive/download/
A few key points to be aware of:
- Backup & Sync will replace Google Drive Sync on your computer, you may want to merge data if prompted during installation
- Recommended to set the photos and video’s file size to “High Quality” This will allow photos of upto 16 megapixels to not be compressed and videos of upto 1080P. You will get unlimited storage of your photos and vidoe’s. It doesnt get counted against your Google Drive storage.
- Backup only the important folders on your computer that you would need to retrieve data from. You may want to include any software files like MYOB. Dont backup your whole C drive as most of it is useless. e.g Windows and program installation files.
- If you use G Suite in your business, you may be interested in upgrading to G Suite Business which gives you unlimited storage in Google Drive. Speak to your Google Partner to arrange this or we can help too. //www.onsitehelper.com/services/google-apps-for-work-partner/
- Be careful of your internet usage, you may want to throttle the speed so it doesnt use up too much bandwidth and cause internet slowness. Also be careful if your using a laptop and mobile broadband e.g 4G dongle, you may chew up all your data usage very quickly so its recommended to turn off Backup & Sync in this case.
Setup 2 Step verification to protect your data Google Drive. You wouldnt want your Google account compromised and have all your personal files and photos leaked. See //www.onsitehelper.com/blog/99-2-step-authentication
You may want to backup your Gmail or G Suite account with another cloud provider. This will protect you in the case above if your Google account was hacked and data was removed or encrypted by Ransomware. See //www.onsitehelper.com/blog/108–the-importance-of-backups-particularly-when-using-cloud-based-applications